Shoulder Joint Replacement
What is it and how is it performed?
Shoulder Joint Replacement Overview
A shoulder joint replacement treats an arthritic shoulder joint. The procedure is usually recommended to treat severe shoulder arthritis that does not respond to nonsurgical treatment options, such as anti-inflammatory medications, corticosteroid injections, physical activity, and lifestyle modifications. Patients who suffer from shoulder arthritis are encouraged to make an appointment with a Sano Orthopedics shoulder specialist to find out if shoulder joint replacement is an appropriate treatment option.
How is a shoulder joint replacement performed?
A shoulder joint replacement is an inpatient procedure performed under general anesthesia. A Sano specialist carefully removes arthritic bone and replaces it with a perfect fit prosthesis. Three procedure may be performed:
- A total shoulder joint replacement. The shoulder joint ball and socket are replaced.
- A partial shoulder joint replacement. The humeral head (top of the arm bone) is replaced.
- A reverse total shoulder. The ball and socket are replaced and their positions are changed.
What conditions can shoulder joint replacement treat?
- Shoulder arthritis that causes severe joint damage and makes moving the shoulder difficult and painful.
- A humeral head fracture or fracture of the articulating portion of the arm bone.
What are shoulder joint replacement advantages?
Total joint replacement makes it possible for severe shoulder arthritis patients to live pain-free lives and perform many movements and participate in many activities that they previously could not.
What is shoulder joint replacement recovery like?
Immediately after surgery, a sling is placed for comfort. JPL exercises are started three days after surgery. Sometimes patients stay overnight in the hospital or go home the same day. A Sano shoulder specialist is seen 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 3 months and 6 months after the procedure. Total recovery time takes about 6-8 months.
Contact Our Care Team
Overland Park, KS
12330 Metcalf Ave, Suite 400
Overland Park KS 66213
Lee's Summit, MO
2861 NE Independence Ave., Suite 201
Lee’s Summit, MO 64064
7201 E. 147th Street Suite 120
Grandview, MO 64030