SANO INTRODUCES PAIN MANAGEMENT
DR. KELLY OWN:
Orthopedic Interventional Spine & Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Specialist
For many people suffering from constant pain, it’s absolutely necessary to see a pain medicine specialist. Pain Medicine Physicians use a broad-based approach to treat all pain disorders, ranging from pain as a symptom of disease to pain as the primary disease. Sano Orthopedics is excited to now offer this specialty, led by Dr. Kelly Own.
What is a Pain Management Physician?
Pain management is a medical specialty that aims to enhance and restore functional ability, decrease pain, and improve quality of life. Pain management physicians specialize in the diagnosis, treating, and managing acute, chronic, and/or severe pain.
Pain management physicians use a broad-based approach to treat all pain disorders, ranging from pain as a symptom of disease to pain as the primary disease.
Who sees a pain management doctor?
People with degenerative back conditions and degenerative neck conditions seek treatment from a pain management doctor. Causes for pain may be acute, like an accident, or chronic, where patients’ pain varies over time. Pain may also stem from herniated discs, arthritis, sciatica, or pinched nerves.
What is the difference between pain management vs primary care physicians?
A pain doctor is a physician with special training in the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic pain. Whereas a primary care doctor may be able to treat common aches and pains, a pain doctor’s advanced training allows them to treat pain that is more complex and often hard to diagnose. Pain specialists are trained to evaluate complex pain problems and address each and every one of the factors involved in the situation. Then, they have a wide variety of treatment options to provide comprehensive treatment.
What types of treatment does a pain medicine doctor offer?
Pain medicine physicians utilize a variety of conservative treatments to relieve pain. Here is a sample of methods used:
- Interventional pain techniques. Examples include steroid injections at the site where the pain is being caused, radiofrequency rhizotomy, and PRP injections.
- Minimally invasive surgery. Sano Orthopedics has the best orthopedic surgeons in the area with decades of experience treating tears (rotator cuff, labral, ACL), ligament injuries, and other conditions affecting the body internally that cause chronic pain.
- Physical therapy. Through increasing mobility and promoting physical function, physical therapy can help reduce or eliminate pain and discomfort for several conditions. Exercise, massage, and rehabilitation therapy are the most common forms of PT.
- Non-opioid options. This includes medications such as acetaminophen, anesthetics, and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Yoga, tai-chi, acupuncture, and heat/ice therapy have also proven to be effective in pain management.
When is it time to see a pain medicine physician?
There are some indications that it’s time to see a pain medicine specialist.
- You want to stop taking prescription pain medication. Pain physicians employ a variety of treatment solutions that can provide pain relief.
- Your pain won’t go away.
- You have failed a variety of other treatments. If you are still experiencing pain after trying a variety of treatments, a pain management doctor may be able to improve your symptoms with customized and state-of-the-art treatments only available through them.
- If you struggle to perform day-to-day movements and function and cannot source the reason. Pain specialists are experts at diagnosing the root cause to best create the right treatment plan for you.
Dr. Kelly Own is a Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Physician at Sano Orthopedics with a fellowship in spine. Dr. Own’s primary focus is on the non-operative management of spine disorders, non-opioid pain management, musculoskeletal injuries, and therapeutic exercise. Dr. Own employs a multidisciplinary approach to patient care, which is vital to helping patients find long-term pain relief.
Great experience! He is very thorough and cares about his patients.
Kelly gave me great insight on why I was experiencing back pain and how I can improve it. He was very kind, straight forward and took the time to answer every question without making me feel like we were on a time limit. Very please with my appointment! Thank you.