Fast Recovery Starts with an Accurate Diagnosis at Ortho Urgent Care
Sports demand heavy exertion, rapid changes in direction, and physical endurance. While these are all impressive feats, they can also result in injuries that can have long-lasting consequences if not properly addressed. After experiencing a sports injury, most patients are eager to return to their sport or daily functional activities.
Early diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal injuries are crucial as they can significantly impact recovery time and the overall outcome of the injury. Orthopedic Urgent Cares are excellent options for being seen quickly by a specialist!
Importance of Accurate Diagnosis and Early Treatment
- Accurate diagnosis is the first key step for recovering quickly. The diagnosis is the driver of treatment options.
- Preventing further damage: delaying treatment can lead to the worsening of the injury and can cause additional damage to the affected area.
- Reducing pain and swelling: early treatment can help reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation associated with the injury. This can improve the patient’s overall comfort and make it easier to perform daily activities.
- Restoring range of motion and function: prompt treatment can help prevent stiffness and loss of motion in the affected area. Early rehabilitation can also help restore function and prevent the development of compensatory movement patterns that can lead to other problems in the future.
- Preventing chronic pain: untreated or poorly treated musculoskeletal injuries can lead to chronic pain that can persist long after the initial injury has healed. Early intervention can help prevent this from happening.
Treating at Home
You can safely manage many acute soft-tissue injuries at home, such as ligament sprains and muscle or tendon strains. Pain is an excellent indicator of an ongoing injury and should not be ignored, even if that means resting from daily functional activities or sports.
We have a number of ways you can schedule an appointment at Sano Orthopedics.
Orthopedic Urgent Care
For sports injuries, fractures or sudden onset of pain, patients turn to our orthopedic urgent care clinics. Our orthopedic experts will provide an accurate diagnosis and treatment recommendations so that you can recover quickly and safely.
Orthopedic urgent cares eliminate the middleman and offer seamless specialized musculoskeletal care. And since most are an extension of an orthopedic practice, the cost is the same as a regular office visit rather than the high cost of ER visits.
Immediate Treatment Indicators*
Although there are varying presentations of musculoskeletal injuries, there are some signs and symptoms that warrant prompt evaluation. If you are experiencing any of these red flag symptoms, please seek out urgent orthopedic care:
- Severe pain: If you experience severe pain at the site of the injury, you should seek medical attention immediately. Severe pain is typically described as a rating greater than 6 out of 10 on a pain scale.
- Limited mobility: If you cannot move the affected area or are experiencing significant loss of range of motion, it may be a sign of a serious injury requiring prompt treatment.
- Deformity: If the affected area appears deformed, it may be a sign of a bone fracture or joint dislocation that requires immediate medical attention.
- Numbness or tingling: If you experience numbness, tingling, or a “pins and needles” sensation in the affected area, it could be a sign of nerve damage or compression that requires urgent evaluation.
- Difficulty bearing weight: If you cannot put weight on the affected limb or are experiencing significant weakness, it could be a sign of a serious injury that requires medical attention.
- “Feeling a pop.” If you “felt a pop” during an injury, accompanied by immediate pain, loss of function and/or swelling, this could be a sign of tendon or ligament injury that would benefit from urgent orthopedic evaluation.
- Concern for infection: If you notice a red, warm, or swollen joint, this may indicate possible infection and warrants prompt evaluation. Orthopedic urgent care is an excellent option for mild joint infections. If you are experiencing systemic symptoms such as fever, fast heart rate, or general feelings of weakness or fatigue, you should immediately report to the emergency department.
Accurate diagnosis and early treatment for musculoskeletal injuries is critical for achieving the best possible outcomes. If you have a musculoskeletal injury, seeking prompt medical attention from an orthopedic urgent care or other qualified healthcare provider is important.
*If you are experiencing a general health emergency, call 911 or report to the emergency department. This includes, but is not limited to, chest pain, palpitations, dizziness, loss of consciousness, head injuries, abdominal pain, seizures, excessive bleeding, or open fractures.
Safeguarding Your Game: Understanding and Preventing Pickleball Injuries
Play It Safe: Our Team Shares Common Pickleball Injuries and How to Prevent Them
Sports Medicine Partner Sunflower State FC
Sports Medicine Orthopedic Partner of the Sunflower State Football ClubSano Orthopedics Sports Medicine Physicians and staff are committed to providing sports medicine services to the local Kansas City athletic teams. Sano is a sponsor and sports medicine partner for...
Dr. Daggett on Fox 4: Basketball Injuries
Dr. Matt Daggett, sports medicine orthopedic surgeon, has a keen eye for what keeps basketball players safe and what puts them at risk for injury.